Monday, June 05, 2006

Going Back to Old Beginnings

It isn't an every day occurance that I find myself in the position to earn a living from something that I'm both good at and enjoy.Such a position is, in fact, one of the rarest things that brings happiness. Daffodils are plentiful; friends are around the corner; but to be able to wake up in the morning and know that I am doing what I love- that is a fleeting experience that deserves to be siezed with all the passion I can muster.

This week, I am returning to nursury school teaching job, after taking a two year break. I am working with the infants again; specializing in infants 9-24 months. Two years ago, I was the lead teacher for this age group, but I left to find a job more fitting of my busy school schedule. It's pretty strange going into my classroom and not being in charge anymore, and I'm trying not to take too many liberties so as not to butt heads with the other teachers. I think I may have cleaned a bit too much for Miss Halle's comfort. Other than that, I've never seemed to fall back into a routine as naturally. I felt as though I had never left- I felt as though I belonged there in the same way that trees belong in a forest. It was a wonderful self-satisfactory feeling.

I admit, it isn't the perfect job. The pay isn't that great (but it's enough), and add to that the crying, the constant upheaval, the unhappy parents who have outrageous requests, the stinky diapers (and all the messes that come along), tantrums, hitting kicking screaming and biting, the workload that's taken home and finished off the clock... So why is it that I love this job? It's the sound of babies laughing, the hugs and sloppy slobbery baby kisses; it's building a block tower as tall as myself so that we can knock it down and build it again; it's being able to sing "The Wheels on the Bus" as many times as I want to, and dancing to The Wiggles as silly as possible, without being commited to an institution; it's seeing a baby roll over, sit up, take a step- for the very first time; it's getting covered in finger paints because we had too much fun at art; it's evenings and weekends off regular 9-5 (ish) almost grown up job schedule; it's the smiles, the sunshine, and the rainy day puddle-fun.

I just hope this optimism lasts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home