Thursday, June 08, 2006

And the Beat Goes On

I was thrown up on four times today. Three of those times it was breast milk... Then I saw Dr. Phil take out a muppet... then I came to the amazing realization that the letter X is the most useless letter ever thought of. I'm boycotting the letter X from this moment forward; there really is no need for it to egzist Except I'll still use it in scrabble when it is worth ten points (I supose I should say "eksept" if I'm going ot do this properly...)

In a bit less frivolous discussion, I noticed today that the media has turned its attention away from the evils that middle-eastern islamic violence has commited against americans, and is now focusing on the evils that middle-eastern islam has commited against their own people. This sympathy that is being played off of the "save them from themselves" attitude is a little disturbing to me. I have little regard for individuals who take precious human life. I am not giving sympathy to al-Zarqawi, nor do I in anyway support or condone the movement he led. Yet, I do have to stop and ask myself if the evils that western christians have committed against nations of islam are not just as bad as the evils that we are supposedly “saving” them from. Yes, al-Zarqawi has committed horrendous acts of terrorism. Yes, he has murdered the innocent while fighting for a cause that we, in the west, can never hope to understand. Yes, he was a tyrant who acted without mercy (I say "without mercy" to mean that he favored the ideology he was fighting for above human life.) However, isn't Mr. W (Bush) committing acts of terrorism by allowing- ordering- our troops to raid civilian houses and town squares; open fire on "insurgents" in villages with children witnessing their fathers being murdered and mothers being raped? Isn't Mr. W murdering the innocent when he sends death showers of bombs to Baghdad?? He calls those who fight back "insurgents" so that we don't recognize the fact that these are innocent people fighting for their way of life, and so that we don't recognize the fact that we are in actuality fighting in a civil war. Mr. W has just as many innocent lives on his hands as al-Zarqawi. And he has murdered these innocent people while fighting for a cause that they, in the east, can never hope to understand. Mr. W is also fighting “without mercy”. He doesn't care how many Iraqis, Afghans, Palestinians, Israelites, and even Americans, die for him to prove that his way is the only way. His fight for his christian ideology far surpasses his regard for human life. Yes, our government is not a far cry away from Al Qaeda. One tyrant taking out another tyrant is not revolution.

I would also like to point out that the top search hits on netscape today were: 1. Megamillions 2.Ann Coulter 3. Paris Hilton 4. Jessica Simpson 5. World Cup.... anyone else find this sad? One of the biggest moments in history, and people are more concerned about money and pop-culture. But then again, was it Caligula who said: "Give them bread and give them spectacle."? Someone once asked me in an ethics class, during a debate over the necessity of a period of anarchy "If modern government is so evil, then why do people accept it without questioning it? Why is there not constant revolution?" For fear of running too far astray from the thread of thought which I was on, I will give my simple answer and save the complex one for another post. To be blunt, people don't care. As long as they have their material wants met and have ample distractions provided by the entertainment that makes up their "culture", they don't care. They may flip on the telly to the news every now and again, and they may complain, but they don't really care, and the news is really just another form of entertainment, another distraction, created by the media. Today's top searches dig that point right home. That is why we have not reached revolution, and that is why we have not been able to see the importance of the period of anarchy before utopia. Revolution takes much more than a few series of terrorism commited by tyranical governments. Particularly when these acts of terrorism occur on the other side of the globe.

I've talked way too much for one post. More to come on the topic when the inspiration overtakes me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home