Sunday, August 27, 2006

Onward and Upward

It's pretty strange not going back to class this week. It's actually almost kind of depressing. Especially since I don't even have a diploma, yet I'm done. It's weird... I mean, just weird. I'm going to miss my daily cup of tea with soy milk and sugar-in-the-raw from Jazzman's in the student center; I'm going to miss vying in ques to get computer time between classes; I'm going to miss giving tours, and working out at the rec center, and being in student organizations; I'll miss DuBois, and all-day study sessions at Susan's; I'll miss tutoring seven ideas; I'll miss the student discount (that I never used) for Apple and Dell; I'll miss being a student...

But, it's not like I'm never going to be on campus. I'll still be working on the research that I helped with last year. There's lots to be done with the data we worked so hard to collect. Even though it will only be one day a week, it will be nice to keep in touch with acedemia; especially since I will be taking a year or two off before going back to grad school.

In addition, I have my two paying jobs that should keep me busy. I'm now working a full schedule at Childtime, and have the feeling they are going to ask me next month to be the lead teacher again (although I think I am going to turn them down); I'm not being conceited about this, they've already discussed it with me. I also just got a weekend and evening job at the small Borders in Summit Mall (this is just a tiny one, that used to be Waldens before Borders bought that company, not one of the big stores) and everyone there seems to be super nice. I'm worried though because although I've worked in retail (at the music store in Texas) I've never had to meet a quota before. And it's not as simple as "sell X number of books during a three hour shift." A certain percentage of sales has to be Border's members sales, and a certain percentage has to be multiple item purchases.. I hope I can meet them, but then my managers at Holze's Music as well as at Howie's Pizza told me that I'm a wonderful salesperson, so we'll see. Aaron says I'm good at selling stuff because I'm a people person... I haven't felt much like a people person lately though.

I haven't started the Borders job yet, and it is nice to only have to worry about one job for now. I actually have free time. You know, to read and sleep and eat and finally unpack my things from when I moved. I'll probably work on my scrapbooks this week too. This weekend was SO amazingly relaxing. I didn't have to worry about anything; I just had a fun time with my friends. I went to Geauga Lake (an amusement park that is now owned by cedar point, but has been here since I can remember- kind of like Kennywood in Pittsburgh.) It was so amazing to be carefree. We went on all the coasters and all the spinny/flying rides. We had a picnic lunch, and just had a really relaxing time. The whole deal cost the four of us a total of 32 dollars ($20 admission since we were there with a larger group and $12 for the fudge that we splurged on) It was nice not to worry about homework or nearly ex-husbands or money or boyfriends.. the only worry I had was the giant hill I was about to drop down :) I wish everyday could be like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home