Monday, July 03, 2006

Flags, Fireworks, and Watermelon

It's no secret that I run around with a bunch of anarchists. It's no secret that I believe that modern government is a corrupt monopoly of defense systems (ask me about that later if you want.... When you have time.. And preferably a chalk board hehe), and it's no secret that I see so-called "independence" as an ideological facade created by said government to hide the fact that they are violating our rights to keep that monopoly. The fireworks displays (paid for and regulated by-you guessed it- the government) are not only prime marketing, but also an extremely effective rouse. You see, while we cheer for the fireworks, and take in the elaborate spectacle seething with propaganda, we get that warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of our stomachs. This feeling has nothing to do with feeling independent, or proud of our country, or any of that... At least not initially. We get warm fuzzies because of the adrenaline from the lights and the noise; from memories of our childhood- eating watermelon on the hood of a car, or playing baseball, or that annual family picnic; and from the feeling of being with friends and family during such beauty (because let's face it, fireworks are pretty). Whatever the reason, we get these happy feelings, and then associate those feelings with the propaganda being pumped into our brains. That's how it hits us- the feeling of patriotism. Suddenly we're proud to be American.. And why wouldn't we be? afterall, Americanism is associated with so many good feelings! Just like Pavlov's dog slobbering at the sound of a bell, we have been conditioned to feel patriotic at the sight of a child waving a flag and singing America the beautiful (what could be more patriotic?)

Given that attitude toward the Fourth, it might surprise some people when I say, I rather enjoy the holiday. Yes, hypocrite that I am, I criticize fireworks displays and then happily pack up my picnic blanket with some watermelon and head out with my young niece and nephew to "get the best spot" for viewing. We spread our blanket, cut our melon, and catch lightning bugs until we hear the star spangled banner being piped through all the radios sitting on blankets nearby. We ooh and ahh and clap our hands and squeal with delight. We cover our ears with big smiles as the finale thunders so loudly that we can feel the noise vibrate in our chests. Why? Well, for Jake and Olivia, the answer is simple. It's fun. I think, however, that my reasons are a bit more complex.

One reason is that I don't use this holiday (or any day) to celebrate god and country, nor do I celebrate our government just because the calendar says it's the day to do so. For me, independence day has nothing to do with the present, and everything to do with the past and the future. For me, independence day is a day of remembrance. Once upon a history book, a group of men had a vision for a country in which natural rights were protected; they had dreams of revolution not very different from the revolution my friends are yelling for today. These men understood the evils of power held by the government and stood up to the system that exploited them through unfair taxation. For me, independence day is a celebration of this movement and remembrance of what the original vision was. It is also a reminder of how far astray we have gone, and how much we are in need of another revolution. This is why independence day is also about the future; it is hope that revolution can happen, and tyrannical governments will lose their grips on power.

Another reason is just that I think fireworks are plain cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home