Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mornin' Gov'ner

Here are a few excerpts from the journal I've been keeping:

10-17
(En Route from Chicago to Manchester)
When the world is telling me it is 6:00am, my body is telling me it is midnight, and my brain can't even tell me which portion of the space-time continuum I'm on, a warm roll and warmer cup of coffee are comforting enough to anchor me back to reality; especially when they are served with a smile. I owe the flight attendants much gratitude.

10-18
(Hyde/Manchester)
This morning I woke up early, which is how I know that my body has not yet adjusted to the time difference. Last night I was dissappointed to find that my phone doesn't work here at all, not even to tell time. I'll have to buy a watch, but other than that I don't mind. I'm writing this at a small tea shop in Hyde, just down the street from where I'm staying. A sweet old lady at the counter, who refferred to me as "love"helped me count the coins to pay for my coffee, the first purchase I've made with British pounds. I went dancing last night with keith and met a nice group of people. We played pool and table football (which is foozball, but they told me only the French call it that... well, and apparantly the Americans do too) Don will be driving me into Sheffield tonight for more dancing.
Something pleasant about the people here is that instead of saying thanks and you're welcome, they say "cheers." Also, everyone says please for everything.

10-19
(Hyde/Manchester)
Well, I must've adjusted finally because this morning I slept in until nearly half past noon which is way too late to head out to Liverpool, as I had originally planned. It is also too late to go into town and see the museums of manchester because everything closes by 5:00pm. It's okay though, because I need a day of lounging around and there will be plenty of other days to see Liverpool and go to museums. Tomorrow I am going to York to see a cathedral. It is also Keith's wife, Adele's, vacation as well, so she is planning several day trips and has invited me along. It's nice to have the company. I'll most likely have lunch at the tea shop again, or perhaps at the pub down the street (which is where I've eaten a club sandwich and diet pepsi- with chips added- for the last two days) I'll have to get an alarm clock, since my phone isn't reliable to wake me up anymore. Also, I couldn't find my toothbrush this morning so I guess I'll get a new one as well. Yesterday at the market I bought a proper journal to write in as well as a watch. I looked for peroxide to keep my ears from getting infected, but I found out that it is illegal to sell it here. I got directions to a Claire's though, which is where I got my ears pierced, so I'm sure I'll be able to get the solution there.
Dancing last night was fun. It was mostly classes, but it was interesting to see the differences. They don't swivel too much here, and they focus a lot on the triple step. Tandem charleston also seems to be quite popular, but not 20's charleston or solo charleston like it is in Cleveland. I'm excited to meet new dancers this weekend at the workshop that Keith is putting on, and also excited about the London Bal Fest next week. Even though Bal isn't my favorite, I'm excited to meet people. I'm a bit worried though because I got an email from my dad saying that my tickets were mailed to me back in the states, so now I don't have them. Hopefully this is nothing that a couple of emails can't fix.
I'm meeting my "British" family (Keith and Adele) for dinner (or as they call it here, "tea")in town tonight, since I was supposed to be coming in from Liverpool anyway. I hope I don't get lost on the bus system; it's very confusing. I might go a couple hours early, just in case, and if I get there on time I will just walk around the neighborhood and take some pictures. I love my brother's camera. It took me a while to figure out all of the buttons, but I have it down now and I like it much better than my old point and shoot digital camera. I took a walk near the Tames river yesterday and got some good shots of a horse farm and the country side around the river. I can't wait to see how the film turns out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home