Monday, September 18, 2006

Art Critic

I wanted to post some of my favorite art, which I have done, but unfortunately the quality of pictures is very poor on my blog. I have posted them for discussion purposes, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of seeing the actual works of art; you can't possibly experience these pieces properly just by viewing them on the web, even if I was able to post high-quality pictures. The purpose of this post is for discussion, so please feel free to post any comments!

The first artist I want to feature in this post (and he is first only because I had mentioned him in a previous post, not necessarily because I prefer him to the others) is Jackson Pollock. Pollock emphasized the process of the creation of art, rather than a particular subject or style of painting (he didn't draw emphasis to the fact that the painting was cubism, or modernism, or any other -ism) People look at a Pollock and think 'what a mess; my one year old could do that!'and indeed a one year old could! They called him Jack the dripper because he created his paintings by dripping the paint onto canvas laid on the floor. When viewing a painting by Pollock, one is able to visualize the action of the painter to achieve his end result.
Lavander Mist:

Galaxy:

Blue Poles:




1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Jess said...

right; I didn't mean to say that Pollock's methods don't require skill. Pollock perfected his method to be able to control the amount of paint that hit the canvas, the thickness of the lines and drippings, and the places the paint hit. Certainly, that takes a lot of skill and precision, and planning (he didn't just drip the paint where ever sporadically, he actually worked with deliberation)What I meant when I said a one-yea-old could do it is that it has the same idea behind it as art that an infant would do. There is emphasis on the actions done to create the art; the process of the painting jumps out, rather than a particular subject. It wasn't at all meant to demean Pollock's work, and I agree that children could never reproduce the final product created by an artist such as him. I was referring to the concept. :)
-Jess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home