Monday, October 30, 2006

This week I'm in London, and it's been really wonderful. The weather cleared up, and was quite sunny both saturday and sunday, so it was perfect for walking about. I have seen so much already, it is hard to imagine that there is so much more that I haven't seen yet. So far my favorite area is Gabriel's Wharf, which is a walkway that runs alongside the Thames. There are tons of shops and street performers on the wharf, and the veiws of the city are beautiful from there.

Today I went to the modern art museum, and saw the changing of the gaurd. The changing of the gaurd is probably the most fun I've had while here, despite the fact that it is merely government spectacle. The modern art museum, Tate Modern, was breath-taking. It is the largest modern art museum in the world, and the collection includes works by Mondrian, Rothko, Polluck, Barnett-Newman, and Lichenstein, all of whom are included on my "favorites" list. I could have easily spent more than a day there, but there are so many other things for me to see. Tomorrow, I am going to see the Rosetta Stone, which excites me terribly. I may also try to get to see the national archives, which has Shakespeare's will, Jane Austin's will, and Guy Fawkes' confession papers, and I also may try to get to the cemetary where Karl Marx is buried, but because I have no idea where these are it may not happen. I also may make a trip to Baker's street, which has a Sherlock Holmes museum, and the Charles Dicken's museum, but again I'm not sure if this will happen because of time restraints.

I am not sure when I am heading back north to Manchester, because my train ticket is good for any train within a month, but it will most likely be Wed. or Thursday. Pictures will be up as soon as I get them developed! (I have six rolls to be put on disc!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home